Tuesday, September 14, 2004

So Mad He Can't Blog Straight

Matt Yglesias is mad. He can't even give the blogs credit for breaking the RatherGate memo story. Of course, since Matt is now a member of the Old Media, he's got to defend the institutions that put food on the table.

So read this post from Matt's blog and tell me what's wrong:
"If I do a post tomorrow claiming -- utterly without evidence -- that John Ashcroft is a closeted homosexual and then two weeks later a New York Times reporter unearths (non-forged) photos of Ashcroft with his gay lover, did I 'break' the Gay Ashcroft story? Know, I didn't. I was just engaging in a little speculation driven by my partisan prejudices (I don't like Ashcroft) and a random bit of folk wisdom holding that strongly anti-gay folks are often closeted gays. "

Did you catch it? Instead of saying "No, I didn't," he writes "Know, I didn't."

This is a perfectly normal usage error, and for any blogger at home in his pajamas, I'd let it go. HOWEVER, Matt is a professional journalist and was the editor-in-chief of a weekly magazine at Harvard.

He should know (correct usage) better than to blog out of anger.