Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Reader Comments

Last week, I posted that one reason the polls were close was to keep the House and Senate races competitive. I also stated that I thought the Anybody But Bush movement was strong enough to keep it close.

I was a bit surprised, but pleasantly so, to see comments from some obviously - Democrat readers:

1. Kerry is about the same or even worse than Bush on some of the issues that I find most important. But I couldn't possibly hate the zealots in the Administration more, that's why I'm voting for Kerry. It's a sad state of affairs.

2. I'm not a big Kerry fan, but I can see him growing on me over time, at least until something better comes along. Bush is the reverse. His appeal is immediate and fades over time. I like Bush about 20% as much as I did in 2000. Even his folksy-charm routine has worn off of me.

3. Uh...maybe I'm dumb (Ah am aftur all one a'thum Democruts, durr!), but I think the polls are still close because...the race is still close, bub. If you think Bush has this one in the bag, you've been attending too many loyalty-oath stump speeches where dissenters aren't allowed in. Outside Honkyville USA, we are mad as heck and not going to take it anymore. The polls do not, for example, account for new registrants or for people whose cell phones are their primary numbers...and, sorry for you, but most of those two demographics (which could be huge for all we know) are going to skew Democratic. When Kerry wins by a medium-sized mini-landslide (call it a minor rockslide of electoral change), I will love to see you eat crow on this site.

The last one is my favorite. My response to the eating crow challenge is this:

If Kerry wins, I'll acknowledge him as the winner on this site. I will have been wrong, and I will deal with it. However, I don't have to become a fan and I don't have to stop criticizing him. President Bush certainly hasn't gotten a pass from the Lefties, and Kerry certainly won't get one from the Right.

That being said, if President Bush is re-elected, I expect to see franziska k. (the reader who posted #3) posting a comment to this site saying that I was right and acknowledging that President Bush is the winner. No whining about being disenfranchised or the voters of America being too dumb or Republicans stealing the election. Just a straight up acknowledgment that Bush is the winner.