Monday, August 25, 2008

Protest Blogging

Before last week, I pretty much expected to avoid any contact with the DNC. However, I realized last week that my office in the Tech Center is right across the street from many hotels where the delegates may be staying. Then I heard that the protesters were planning to block the delegates from leaving the hotels. All of a sudden, I thought, "Maybe I can get some good footage of riot police and tear gas." I brought my camera and video camera to work hoping to see something you don't see everyday. Of course, this morning, when I got to work, nothing. No protests, no riot police, no tear gas. Based on the numbers from the protesters downtown this weekend, I guess I should have known that this will be no Chicago '68. Even the people in my office that live north of downtown and had to drive past the "Secure area" said that traffic was lighted than normal this morning. We'll see how the week progresses, but it looks to be a fairly tame start to the DNC.