In the run-up to the Vice Presidential debate this week, let's look at the Democratic VP Candidate, Joe Biden.
Sarah Palin has gotten most of the press coverage and criticism for either not being able to answer questions or not giving the right answer.
Check out this clip of Joe Biden in his interview with Katie Couric and listen very carefully to his first sentence.
Now that you have watched it, here's a couple of points:
1. In 1929, FDR was not president
2. Television had not been invented yet
FDR did get on the radio and give his fireside chats after 1932. The best part of this whole thing is Biden's lead in sentence: "Part of what a leader does is to install confidence and demonstrate that he or she knows what they are talking about." Then we get into the FDR comment.
What is really interesting is that according to Joe Biden's Wikipedia page, he was a double major at the University of Delaware in political science and history. Maybe it wasn't U.S. history.
Now ask yourself this:
1. Did you see this played over and over on CBS, NBC, or ABC?
2. If Sarah Palin had said this, do you think they would have questioned her qualifications to be VP?
3. Why do you think this is?